The SFPUC offers both virtual Water-Wise Consultations and in-person Water-Wise Evaluations at residential, non-residential and landscape properties served by a SFPUC water account. Property owners, managers, water-account holders or tenants can participate, as long as a water account number is provided for scheduling.
We provide three options for evaluations: 1) a personalized phone call or 2) a virtual video call to answer questions about your water consumption, leaks, and indoor and outdoor water conservation best practices or 3) an in-person Water-Wise evaluation.
Virtual Water-Wise Consultations by Phone or Video Chat (Zoom or FaceTime)
A water conservation specialist can connect with you via a phone call or a video call (ZOOM or Facetime) to provide recommendations to maximize your water efficiency.
By phone, our specialist will review your water use to share water-saving tips and provide information on rebates and additional services we provide and answer any questions you may have. These calls can last up to 30 minutes.
If you would like a more in-depth review of your plumbing fixtures and appliances , such as toilets, faucets, and irrigation components, and you are able to walk through your property and point your phone’s camera to where our specialists directs you, please request a video call when you schedule your appointment and indicate if you prefer Zoom or FaceTime. During your video call, our specialist will help you identify the flow rates of faucets and showerheads, confirm the flush volume of your toilet(s), share ways to help you identify leaks around the property, and identify water using fixtures that require replacements. These calls can last up to 1 hour.
In-Person Water-Wise Evaluations (Indoors and Outdoors)
If you would like an in-person evaluation, one to two of our water conservation specialists will meet you at your property to check indoor and outdoor devices and fixtures for leaks and inefficiencies and share ways to help you increase your property’s water savings. After your evaluation, a comprehensive summary report is created and emailed to you with findings and recommendations from your water-wise evaluation.
Once we receive your application, we will email you to confirm the time and day of your evaluation. Our specialist also will call you the day of your appointment at least 30 minutes prior to arriving.
During your in-person Water-Wise Evaluation, a water conservation specialist will:
- Review the property’s water use and discuss water reduction goals
- Check as many indoor plumbing fixtures and water-using appliances for leaks and water efficiency as time permits
- Provide, and in some cases install, free devices and materials, including water-efficient showerheads, faucet aerators, spray nozzles and standard toilet repair parts to fix common leaks
- Inspect any irrigated landscaping and provide tips for efficient outdoor water use
- Provide information on water-saving rebates/incentives you may be eligible for
- Email you a customized report of the findings
Additional Outdoor Evaluation details include:
- A complete irrigation system check – automatic or manual operation of irrigation valves via the irrigation controller
- Walk-through of yard, landscape – checking for broken sprinkler heads, repairs, disconnected lines, overgrowth, inefficient irrigation, runoff, etc.
- Irrigation timer scheduling – collect irrigation timer schedule, checking the timer for days watered, start times, and run times for each station.
Up to two (2) inspectors may be assigned to perform your landscape water-wise assessment – one to operate the irrigation timer and review irrigation programming and the other to inspect the landscape and irrigation system components while the irrigation timer is in operation.
How to Apply
To schedule an appointment, please APPLY ONLINE below.
Please be prepared to provide the following information when you request an appointment:
- Water account number and property address (tenants and property owners/managers who don’t pay the water bill can apply, as long as they have approval from the water account holder and can provide the water account number
- Phone number and email address for the person who will participate in the Virtual Consultation or In-Person Evaluation
- If you are requesting a Virtual Consultation, select if you want it conducted by phone call or on video by Zoom or FaceTime
- Any water use issues: i.e. leaks, sudden increase in water use, etc.
- Number of bathrooms and toilets in the property
- Number of floors, dwelling units and, type of business or property for non-residential sites
- Outdoor landscaping: the approximate square footage of the irrigated landscape and whether it is watered by hand or by an irrigation system
For a Virtual Consultation by Phone or Video, select the Water Conservation Phone Consultation icon.
For an In-Person Evaluation, select the Water-Wise Evaluations icon. If you haven't applied for conservation assistance online before, you'll need to register first at the link above. Registration is quick; make sure you know your SFPUC Water account number, which you can find on your bill.
If you do not have access to a computer, call (415) 551-4730 and leave a detailed message. We will call you back to schedule your appointment. In your message please indicate:
- Your name, phone number and email address
- If you want a phone consultation, video consultation, or in-person evaluation
- The address of the property you want the evaluation for
- What type of property it is (single family, multi-family, commercial)
- For multi-family and commercial, indicate how many floors are in the property.