- mail_outline email@example.com
This project will install a new sewer pipe under Vicente Street, from Wawona Street to 34th Avenue. The project will also replace the aging water transmission and distribution mains on Wawona Street, 15th Avenue, and on Vicente Street west of 19th Avenue.
- Construction Start: Summer 2021
- Contruction End: Winter 2024
- Project Phase: Construction
The intersection of 15th and Wawona does not meet the citywide design standards for stormwater management and has been susceptible to flooding associated with moderate and heavy storms. The Wawona and Vicente Streets Stormwater and Water Main Replacement project will bring this area up to the citywide design standard for stormwater management and reduce the risk of flooding in the area of 15th Avenue and Wawona Street.
It is important to note that even after project completion, this area will still be at risk of flooding during heavy rains. For more information on stormwater management, visit sfwater.org/rainreadysf. To minimize disruption from construction and staging to the surrounding community, the SFPUC is coordinating with other large projects in the area including the L-Taraval Improvement Project and the 19th Avenue Improvement Project.
- Reduce the risk of flooding by diverting some of the stormwater flow to a new large sewer pipe to be installed under Vicente Street, from Wawona Street to 34th Avenue
- Increase the ability to capture and divert street runoff with new stormwater inlets around 15th Avenue and Wawona Street intersection
- Upgrade the aging water transmission and distribution mains along Vicente and Wawona streets
About the SSIP
The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) recently launched the Sewer System Improvement Program (SSIP), a 20-year citywide investment to upgrade our aging sewer system and provide a more reliable, sustainable, and seismically safe system now and for future generations. The SSIP includes a series of facility upgrades at the Southeast Treatment Plant (SEP) located in the Bayview neighborhood of San Francisco.
What to Expect During Construction
Construction activities continue to progress at several locations along our project alignment.
3 Month Look-Ahead Schedule (Subject to change):
- Please refer to the November 2022 project update in the section below, which includes final paving updates for 2023.
November 26, 2022 – January 1, 2023
- Holiday Moratorium: No work is expected to be done within Moratorium areas, however other areas may have a continuation of construction. We will provide an email update when we determine which locations will continue to have work conducted through the Holiday Moratorium period.
- Work will continue in 2023 after New Years Day. Advanced noticing will be provided should any changes occur, and continue to expect email updates as work progresses.
November 2022 Project Update
Sewer Work at Vicente and 34th to 20th Ave
- Our crews plan to begin to install a 36-inch water transmission pipe between 25th to 19th Avenues along Vicente Street in mid-November.
- Paving will begin 34th and Vicente to 25th and Vicente in late November.
- Crews will continue curb ramp construction at the intersections of 21st and Vicente and 29th and Vicente.
Sewer Work at 15th and Wawona to Wawona and Vicente:
- Sewer drainage inlet installation continues to take place along Wawona Street, from 15th Avenue to Vicente Street. Approximately 4 feet of walkway on the sidewalk around the work will be available for pedestrian use, however they may be instances when crews will need to temporarily close the sidewalk during work hours and create a detour to the opposite sidewalk.
- Crews will also be installing 18-inch culverts concurrently with the drainage inlet work. Construction staging will occur along some nearby side streets in the immediate vicinity.
- Vibration monitoring is taking place in order to capture vibration data associated with construction. Monitoring is taking place in two locations: 14th & Wawona St. and 15th & Wawona St. These construction activities are anticipated to continue throughout the month.
Water Work at Vicente Street
- Lateral installation and trench restoration work will begin to take place between 14th and 15th Avenues on Vicente Street, as well as 15th Avenue between Wawona and Vicente Streets.
- Final paving schedule is currently in the works in preparation for the final phase of construction in 2023. Additional notice will be provided with more details on timing and what to expect.
- Vicente and 34th-25th Ave: We are working to adjust our schedule to upgrade the street base and then pave this stretch, curb-to-curb, by early 2023. This requires no-parking signs to remain posted in this area in order for the remaining planned work to occur. The duration of the work is expected to be approximately 1-week per block.
- Vicente and 25th-19th Ave: Water transmission installation will be taking place, and we will similarly work to expedite paving after completion of work, anticipated to be in spring 2023.
We thank you for your patience as we complete these vital sewer system upgrades. For questions or comments, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at (415) 554-3233.