The Medical Necessity Assistance Program allows qualified households to use 75% more energy at the general residential service rate. If you are a Hetch Hetchy Power customer with a medical disability, you may be eligible for assistance.
- Customers dependent on electrically powered life-support device(s) plugged into the home electric system. Qualifying devices include:
- Aerosol tent
- Pressure pad
- Apnea monitor
- Pressure pump
- Respirator (all types)
- Electronic nerve stimulator
- Suction machine
- Ultrasound nebulizer
- Electrostatic nebulizer
- Inhalation pulmonary pressure breather machine (IPPB)
- Iron lung
- Dialysis machine
- Hemodialysis machine
- Motorized wheelchair
- Oxygen generator
- Certain illnesses or conditions including:
- Compromised immune system being treated for a life-threatening illness that requires special electrically powered heating and/or cooling to sustain the life of the patient/person.
- Multiple Sclerosis patient
- Neuromuscular patient
Apply for the Medical Necessity Assistance Program
- Fill out the Medical Necessity Assistance Program application.
- Provide a certification letter by a physician or surgeon that a full-time resident in the household meets one of the eligibility criteria.
- Provide proof that the qualifying occupant lives at the address in the application.
- Mail the application and all supporting documentation to:
Please allow 4-6 weeks to process your application.
Recertification: Customers must reapply annually unless a permanent disability is demonstrated.