Despite winter rains and snow, we are still in a drought. Our water supply remains uncertain if dry conditions persist and the State of California takes actions that impact our ability to access our stored water supplies.
To help extend our water supplies, the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission declared a Water Shortage Emergency in November 2021. The action calls for a 10% reduction in water use across our regional system. This breaks down to a 5% water reduction target for San Francisco and a 13.5% water reduction target for customers the SFPUC serves in San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Alameda counties.
We need your help. We ask everyone to continue to use water wisely to help us make it through this drought. Customers outside of San Francisco can visit bawsca.org/drought to find water conservation programs in your area.
Changes to Your Bill - Drought Surcharge
Starting April 1, 2022, this declaration prompts a 5% drought surcharge that retail customers will see on their bills.
- Drought Surcharge Information Fact Sheet: English, Chinese, Spanish, and Filipino
- Determine future charges with our water and sewer bill calculator.
For questions, please contact Customer Service at (415) 551-3000, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm except on holidays, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take Advantage of Free Water Conservation Resources
- Drought Guides: English, Spanish, Chinese, and Filipino,
- Free Water Conservation Check Up and Free Devices delivered to you. Sign up.
- Replacing your clothes washer? We have rebates for residential and commercial customers.
- Free water saving toilets including installation. See if you qualify.
- Businesses can earn rebates for equipment retrofits. Learn more.
Conservation Tip Sheets and Guides
Downloadable Signage for your Building or Business
Help spread the word about cutting water waste in your building. Download, print, and post these signs. Thank you!
Full Color Signs:
Partial Color to conserve printer ink:
Retail customers who receive a water bill from the SFPUC are asked to reduce their water use by 5%. Our wholesale customers are asked to conserve 13.5%. Our goal is to reduce water use by a combined total of 10% system-wide compared to the amount of water they used from July 2019 to June 2020. See how we are doing on the chart below.
|For the Period July 1, 2021 - May 19, 2022|
|CUSTOMER GROUPS||Fiscal Year 2019/2020: Avg. MGD||Fiscal Year 2021/2022: Avg. MGD||% REDUCTION|
|San Francisco Customers||63.0||55.5||* 12.0%|
* San Francisco’s reduced water use reflects COVID impacts to business operations. Changes in percent reduction may occur as the economy rebounds and business operations return to pre-pandemic levels.
Visit us here for up to date reservoir levels.