Explore our rebates that lower the cost of a cistern or rain barrel for your home or business, enabling you to harness the bounty of rain we receive in our city.
Rainwater harvesting is the practice of collecting and using rainwater from hard surfaces such as roofs for landscape irrigation or toilet flushing. A rainwater harvesting system can be as simple as using a small home-made rain barrel or installing a large cistern or underground storage tank. Capturing rainwater at your home or business reduces drinking water otherwise needed for irrigation and helps reduce runoff from entering our combined sewer system during storm events. Other benefits of rainwater harvesting include:
- Keeping relatively clean water out of San Francisco’s combined sewer system, making it available for other uses
- Reducing the energy and chemicals needed to treat stormwater
- Helping to reduce flooding and sewer overflows by capturing and using water onsite
For guidance on planning and designing a rainwater harvesting system, review the San Francisco Rainwater Harvesting Manual for non-potable residential uses.
Expanded Rainwater Harvesting Program with the Urban Farmer Store
For a limited time, rain barrel costs are fully covered by our rebate - participating customers will only need to pay tax ($8.50). Cisterns are generously discounted as well. Review the Rain Barrel or Cistern fact sheets and then apply now on our online application which includes submitting a photo of your downspout.
- Rainwater Harvesting Program Application
- Property Owner Release Form (required for applicants who are renters)
- Rainwater Harvesting Program Application (print version)
Once your application is approved, you can pick up your rain barrel(s) or cistern at the Urban Farmer Store, located at 2833 Vicente Street. For questions about the status of your application, please contact the Urban Farmer Store at email@example.com or (415) 661-2204.
Rainwater Harvesting Permit Rebate
For rainwater harvesting projects that need to disconnect the downspout from the sewer system, a permit is required from the San Francisco Department of Building Inspection (DBI). We offer a rebate up to $225 to help cover the cost of obtaining a permit. Not sure if you need a permit? Please review our Rain Barrel or Cistern fact sheets for requirements.
For questions about our Rainwater Harvesting Programs, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rainwater FAQs
- Rain Barrel and Cistern Sizes Cost Sheet
- Rainwater harvesting calculator
- Rainwater Harvesting Manual
Watch the video below to learn how to build your own Rainwater Harvesting System: